Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fun with Spanish

Two of my favorite words in Spanish are picar (to bite) and rico (rich), because they can be used in all kinds of colorful ways. Some examples (feel free to comment if I've got these wrong, or if you've got more):

1. "picar":

¡Se pica el ceviche!
This ceviche is tart/spicy! (The related picante is the word for spicy.)

Pica los tomates.
Chop up the tomatoes.

Me pica la piel.
My skin itches.

Las piedras pican mis pies.
These rocks are sharp (literally, "they're biting my feet").

Se pica el mar.
The sea is getting rough.

"Los Picapiedras"
The Flintstones!

2. "rico":

Que rica la comida.
This food is delicious.

Que rico vestido.
What a gorgeous dress.

¡Que rico tu bebĂ©!
What an adorable baby!

Que rica la siesta.
That nap felt so good.

I know we have some versatile words in English, but the Spanish language in general strikes me as more malleable and playful. People here make jokes using puns all the time. I think the Brits have the same custom, but we Americans not so much.

2 comments:

The Bradfords said...

I also like "picaflor" - the name for hummingbirds.

calebsutton said...

And also a ladies' man.